Interesting Facts about Linux and Kernel :-
1. ) Linux kernel 1.0.0 was released with 176,250 lines of code. The latest Linux kernel has over 10 million lines of code.
2. )The Linux kernel’s official mascot is a penguin named Tux.
3. )Oracle made a comparison between Oracle 9i running on a Windows 2000 and the same computer running Linux. The result is 2530% more efficiency with Linux
4. )A 21 year-old Finnish college student created the Linux kernel as a hobby. (Do you know him?)
5. )The Linux kernel is written in the version of the C programming language.
6. )A “vanilla kernel” is not an ice cream flavor but an unmodified version of the Linux kernel.
7. )IBM invested
750 000 000 $ in 1999
1 000 000 000 $ in 2000
1 000 000 000 $ in 2001
in the port of Linux on all its platforms, from the simplest
to the mainframe.
8. )Some companies that use linux:
Cisco,Wikipedia,Yahoo,Sony Playstation 3,Amazon,Peugeot,IBM,Rolls-Royce,google,British Telecom,AT&T,NASA,Alcatel,Pixar,Sun Microsystems,Virgin America,panasonic,toyota,U.S. Army,,U.S. Federal Courts,U.S. Postal Service,French Parliament,Bank of China
9. )China is using Linux for the state administration ! If a system is enough to deal with 1 200 000 000 habitant country administration, it’s enough to run in any company !
10.) Microsoft Windows and the Linux kernel can run simultaneously in parallel on the same machine using a software called Cooperative Linux (coLinux).