Let me introduce myself. My name is Akash Shastri (not Akash Padhiyar). So there are two writer akash*akash= (akash)2 on this website. lol. I am a computer geek. Currently I am pursuing BCA. Contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org. So lets get started..
First of all, dont get exited. I know most of you might have searched on google on this topic but u got disapointed. I am going to show you how a hacker can hack your email a/c & how you can prevent your a/c from getting hacked.
WARNING: Dont use this information for illegal purposes.
Now there is no software available where you just enter the id & you get the password. This was possible some years back with the help of brute force or dictionary attack.
BRUTE FORCE: The software trys all the possible key combinations on the keyboard as a password. This used to take much time i.e hours or sometime days! As there can be billions of key combinations & it was useless to find passwords such as 10-15 characters long as it would take months to find the password. Anyways there is no point in discussing about it as it dont work now as email service providers have increased security & blocks a ip after 3 password trials. So now lets come on the main point.
THERE ARE 6 WAYS OF HACKING AN EMAIL:
1. Social Engineering
2. Phishing/Fake logging Page
4. RAT(Remote Administrative Tool)
5. Network Sniffing
6. Windows Protected Storage & Other Password storage
1. SOCIAL ENGINEERING:
This is in no ways hacking but you can say it a smart way of hacking email. Even a kid can hack your email using this technique. So lets see how it works.
- GUESSING: If you use very weak passwords your family member or friends can guess your password easily. While you are login in. They might have seen some of the keys you are pressing while typing password & then they can make a guess of whole password.
- PREVENTIVE MEASURE: Never use small passwords. Use a password of atleast 9 characters. Never use password such as your mobile no., birth date, gf’s/bf’s name or any password which anyone can guess. Use a combination of letters, numbers & special characters(*,&,% etc.) in your password.
- Have you noticed something like “forget your password” or “Cant access your a/c” at your login page. If you click on it, we are asked with 1 or 2 security questions. If you have kept this questions simple while filling the form then any person who knows you can answer this questions. Even if the hacker dont know much about u, they can find information about you from social networking sites from your profile or they can smartly ask you the answer while chatting.
- PREVENTIVE MEASURE: Keep the security question as hard as possible.
2. PHISHING/FAKE LOGGING PAGES:
- A hacker can make a fake logging page which looks similar to your email provider’s login page & when you enter your password, it goes to hacker’s server & not your email provider’s server.
- PREVENTIVE MEASURE: Always see the url of your login page before you enter your password.
- A software called keylogger can record the keystrokes you press on the keyboard & send it to the hacker.
- PREVENTIVE MEASURE: Always use an antivirus & update it regularly.
- Using remote administrative tools(Commonly known as TROJAN) a hacker can not only get your email password but can also access your computer remotely & can see all the activites you perform. RAT also has an inbuit keylogger to get your password & other informations.
- PREVENTIVE MEASURE: Always use an antivirus software & update it regularly.
5. NETWORK SNIFFING:
- A hacker can sniff the network using special tools such as cain & abel & can decrypt your email password.This requires a very special hacking knowledge.
- PREVENTIVE MEASURE: You cant do much about this but always take internet connection from good ISP(Internet Service Providers).
6. WINDOWS PROTECTED STORAGE:
- Windows store information like your passwords, url visited & much more. If the person has physical access to your computer using special software they can find your password.
- PREVENTIVE MEASURE: Just dont allow anyone to use your computer. LOL..
I Know you are still disappointed with the post as I have not provided the exact methods & softwares used. But as an ethical hacker, I cant help you more than this.
IMPORTANT: This article and other articles by me are copyrighted. Should not be copied fully or partly in any form.